Sunday, October 10, 2010

When students rebel.....give them dodgeballs.

I can’t believe I didn’t post all week…it was a very eventful week! Every week goes by in such a blur (but at the same time many days feel like 6 days in one) so it’s pretty hard to remember what went on. But I’ll give you the highlights.

Wednesday was the only day I’ve had so far that I would describe as “horrible.” The math teacher I co-teach with was out, as were a few other teachers, so I was covering the math classes and the English teacher’s advisory. In Algebra we were reviewing for a test, and I basically have no authority in that class, so it was a little crazy, and I actually had to count down from 5 to get them to settle down (I’ve only ever done that before with elementary school kids, and I told them that!) After my 7th period, Carolyn came to me with the counselor and they told me Jay was saying inappropriate things to her in my class, even from the other side of the room, and I realized that that is why she keeps avoiding my class. I felt horrible, because I had no idea, and I should really know what’s going on in an 8-student class…

Normally on Wednesdays the students have half days, but instead of letting them go home they had to stay and take practice ACT exams. They were pissed. In the advisory that I covered it, it took me a good 10 minutes to get them to sit quietly enough to pass out the test, and they all complained incessantly about how it was stupid and they didn’t want to take it. Many refused and went to sleep, some didn’t even open up the test book and just randomly filled in bubbles, and one boy and girl got into a verbal screaming fight out of no where and I had to kick them out. I wrote my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th write-ups that day.

Thursday I started 7th period by lecturing my students about how I no longer wanted to hear any racists or disrespectful comments, or it was going to be automatic detention. They laughed because apparently I was “looking at Jay” the whole time I was talking about it. But then they were amazing for the rest of the period! JT has taken to dragging his desk to face the wall so he can concentrate (without me telling him to!) and Jordan started doing it too! Baby steps…

Friday during lunch my supervisor came with all this paperwork I have to do by next Wednesday. Ever since I told my students that she was my “boss,” they’ve decided they don’t like her. A few of them were in my classroom during lunch working on tests, and one of them (God only knows why) happened to have a small beach ball with him. He stood behind her and pointed at her head, mouthing to me and motioning with the ball, “Should I hit her with it?!” It was so hard for me to look at her and not laugh. I love that my kids are looking out for me.

After school we had a teacher vs student dodgeball tournament. I volunteered to videotape it so they wouldn’t pressure me into playing. Funniest thing I have ever seen, 20 teachers vs 50-60 students. And the students lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment