Saturday, October 30, 2010

It's like a disease...

As I probably mentioned, this past week was CRAZY.  Yesterday morning one of the counselors and I made plans to actually go out of the building and have lunch (usually I have at least 6 students in my room during lunch).  Just as I kicked all of my students out of my room, my supervisor walked in (we have 3 prep periods a day and yet she insists on either coming while I'm teaching or during lunch to give me more work to do).  Anyway, when I was finally able to escape, we went to this delicious little sandwich place and sat and talked.  I realized that I would never be able to do her job.  I've been seeing my job lately as part teacher and part counselor, but for me, when I start to worry about the students' lives and everything they have to deal with outside of school, I can focus on helping them do well in school since that is something that is within my "locus of control."

Apparently, pregnancy is going around like an epidemic in our school all of a sudden.  Another one of my students, Amy, just found out she is pregnant.  Amy is the student whose mother calls about 1000 times a week, and she hasn't told her mother yet.  Looking forward to that phone call!  Carolyn is due in January, and  I'm really worried for her! She's already not doing well in her classes, I can only imagine what next semester will be like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment