Sunday, October 3, 2010

Back to School Night


Friday was a "professional development day," which meant we had no students and were supposed to spend the day at workshops and meetings and such.  Instead, we had a 10 minute meeting at 9am, and spent the rest of the day doing whatever we needed (planning, organizing, bulletin boards, etc).  We also blew up 300 balloons and decorated the hallways for Back to School Night (the parents were all supposed to come from 6-8pm to meet all the teachers).  It was a really great day for bonding with all of my co-workers, but I was also was pretty much working non-stop from 9am-9pm.  I found out that 4 of my students have their "annual IEP review" coming up on October 14th, so I ran around all day trying to track down forms and get them filled out and reserve a room for the meeting.  The other Special Ed teacher was out for Jury Duty, so I also had to prepare for his and my student's parents.

When it actually came time to meet the parents, only 3 of my students' parents showed up.  Luckily, Jay's mom and stepdad came (so did Jay, and when he saw me in the hallway he shook my hand. I was floored).  His parents came into my room and said, "Okay, don't sugarcoat anything, just let us know what he's been doing and what he has to do.  We were told that no one fails resource room, and yet Jay is failing."  It was fantastic, and hopefully he will start to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment