Monday, January 3, 2011

First day after vacation...

7am, I walk into my room, expecting--dreading--the disaster that I left the day before break. I am greeted instead with a gorgeous shiny room with the desks all in rows.  The custodians waxed the floors over break and were nice enough to rearrange my desks.  Seconds later I get a frantic call from my co-teacher asking me to check her room because she overslept.  I expect it to also be shiny and beautiful, but I walk in and find 30 desks shoved in the corner, all the technology unplugged, and the bookcase and filing cabinet in the center of the room.  After rushing to rearrange everything, I thought the rest of the day would be just as hectic.  Then I remembered our students, and how they use every excuse possible to stay home from school.  Apparently two weeks off wasn't enough for them!

Period 1: 8 out of 25 students showed up

Period 2:  2 out of 5 students

Period 5: 12 out of 27

Period 7: ONE STUDENT.

Needless to say, the rest of my day was pretty easy!  January is going to be rough though, because it is "winter session" at grad school.  So Mondays and Wednesdays I have class from 5:30 to 8:45 and all four Saturdays of January I have class from 9am to 4pm.  Plus online sessions, and the hour+ commute to class...not the most exciting way to start off 2011.  

No comments:

Post a Comment